We need to breathe in fresh and pure air. But due to air pollution it is not easy for us to do so. However, with technologies like nano silver filter in the air conditioner and air-purifier, you can do so.
Here is what a Nano Silver Filter is and how it works.
What is Nano Silver Filter? How Does it Work?
This nano silver filter is known for the anti-bacterial quality from ancient Greece. In other words, the nano silver filter is a synonym to anti-bacterial technology.
It directly attacks and destroys bacterial cells and chemical compounds.
Moreover, when Titanium dioxide gets exposed to ultraviolet, it creates electrons in the excited state.
Later on, this reacts with Oxygen and results in the superoxide ions. Then it reacts with water vapour and produces hydroxyl radicals.
Superoxide and hydroxyl ions together act as a great combination in destroying bacteria.
In addition, it not only destroys or kills the bacteria but also inhibits further bacteria’s growth. It is also instrumental in inhibiting other microbes’ growth, for example, fungi, spores, and viruses.
This Nano-Silver technology destroys and damages these microbes’ inner configuration. It does so by absorbing their cells.
The Principle of Nano Silver Technology
Generally, activated carbon is the standard material for air filtration. It is excellent in removing and eliminating impurities from air and water.
Microporosity and surface area are also important factors.
Note that the larger the surface area and the greater the porosity, the more efficient is the filter. However, it can prove to be a disadvantage as well.
However, this nano silver filter has excellent antimicrobial qualities similar to activated carbon.
There is no requirement for a larger surface area to work. The 100 nanometre Silver bits are enough to facilitate the job.
Finally, these silver particles are instrumental in efficiently decimating and destroying the bacteria (both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria).
Some Merits and Demerits of Nano Silver Filter
- Acts very similar to activated carbon filters.
- Easily eliminates bacteria and other poisonous substances in the air.
- Along with eliminating bacteria, it also inhibits the growth of bacteria.
- Capable of eradicating more than 600 types of bacteria.
- Disinfects 99.99% of filtered air.
- It removes pollutants like pet dander, dust, pollen.
- Not too spacious.
- Due to excessive exposure to silver, bacteria can become silver-resistant.
- Silver has toxic effects on different kinds of cells.
- Due to co-selection, Nano Silver promotes antibiotic resistance (In this process, bacteria is challenged by one anti-microbial. It finds a resistance gene with bacteria by swapping the DNA, resistant to a different antimicrobial).
To match up the fight with these microbes and bacteria, Nano Silver Filter stands out.
Therefore, buy the devices and appliances that come with this technology.
Indian AC unit brands like Blue Star or Voltas come with Nano Silver Filters in their latest models.
However, check before buying and enjoy fresh air without such impurities.
Santanu Bit Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of REVIEWCIRCLES. He is Bachelor of Science has experience of 5+ years in Technology Blogging, Consumer Behaviour study and his expertise area includes Heavy To Large Appliances and Consumer Electronics.