Is your drinking water free from contaminants? Is it safe for human consumption? In this post, I am going to discuss the different types of impurities present in drinking water.
Water is one of the most important parts of our life. But we humans play a vital role in polluting this primary source of life with different means. We dump industrial wastes in water, littering plastic into the sea, and doing many other things that either directly or indirectly polluting this precious resource.
Water is an excellent solvent, and therefore, it can dissolve anything that comes in contact with it. Once you are aware of different types of impurities, you must know what impurities does drinking water has.
Types of Impurities In Drinking Water
Overall, there are four main types of contaminants in natural water:
- Dissolved Impurities: Chances are, that natural water consists of inorganic salts, dissolved organic matter, and gasses.
- Suspended impurities: The surface of water consists of organic suspended pollutants such as animal body material, oil globules, and vegetables. On the other hand, the inorganic suspended impurities consist of sand, clay, and eroded minerals.
- Colloidal impurities: It includes clay, organic waste products, amino acids, coloring materials, and silica.
- Pathogenic micro-organisms: It includes bacteria, algae, fungi, viruses, and so on.
Other than this, the drinking water has many impurities that we should not overlook. We should know the harmful effects of consuming impure water to avoid fatal diseases.
These days, with the advancement in technology, many manufacturers are coming forward with water purifier devices. Also, almost every house nowadays has a RO water purifier to purify the drinking water.
Following are some of the commonly found impurities in our drinking water:
You must be aware of lead and mercury as a component of water. There are other heavy metals in the water like arsenic, cadmium, iron, aluminium, copper etc. These are naturally occurring elements but are incredibly toxic.
The lead comes in the water due to old water pipes, and mercury comes through the air because of the thermal power plants. Mercury enters the source through snow or rain.
These heavy metals does not removed from our body and it keeps on accumulating there. They can cause serious problems including cancer, severe nerve diseases or people may even die.
Water contains some harmful chemicals such as nitrate, mercury, fluoride etc. This chemicals present in water are mainly dumped by industries.
The presence of these extremely harmful chemicals are unfit for human consumption. They have a terrible impact on your health and can lead to serious illness.
These biological impurities are the most deadly impurities found in the drinking water. These includes bacteria, algae, fungi, viruses, protozoa, parasites and many more. They can lead to diseases like typhoid, dysentery, cholera, diarrhea, gastroenteritis etc.
These micro-organism cannot be removed by simple filtration. You need to use latest water purifier with modern technologies like RO+UV+UF.
Read our articles on:
- RO Water Purifier – Pros & Cons
- RO vs UV vs UF
We humans are polluting our environment in every manner. And we are doing this even after knowing its impact on the society. People go for open defecation, litter garbage, plastic bags to water. Also the household is disposed into sewage which later goes to rivers and seas and make the water polluted.
This water contains harmful bacteria and pathogens. When we consume this water, it causes many health problems and waterborne diseases like diarrhea, typhoid, cholera etc.
The most common chemical used to disinfect water is chlorine. However, it is a harmful chemical that we consume through our drinking water. It is a reactive chemical that will form toxic byproducts like trichloramine and dichloramine, which will cause many problems in your body.
These, along with herbicides, are most commonly used by farmers to get rid of pests. They do it to avoid pests from attacking the crops.
However, when we use them in excess, they dissolve into the soil and then run off into the lakes and rivers. The primary effect of these pesticides is havoc. According to recent researches, some harmful pesticides also lead to cancer.
Also, you must be aware of the percentage of cancer patients these days. It is increasing at an alarming rate.
Whatever drug we consume, the kidneys filter them from your body. The kidneys take out all the toxins through urine and give you a healthier body. The drainage system takes this liquid to the rivers, and eventually, we end up disposing of all the body waste in the most substantial water resources.
In a recent study, researchers have come across the percentage of pharmaceuticals in mainstream waters.
In the end, we will suggest you can use different methods that will help you clear out impurities. There is a unique purification process that will help you eliminate harmful effects that you will get in the water.
The home remedy for removing impurities is to boil the water first before consuming it. However, with the introduction of water purifiers in the market, it has become convenient for you and your family to drink pure water.
We hope the information is helpful for you, and you will undoubtedly take a quick action to help you and your loved ones lead a healthier life.
- Water Pollution: A Significant Concern | Causes Of Water Pollution
- 9 Best RO Water Purifier In India 2020 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide!
- 10 Best Water Purifier In India 2020 – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews!
- 10 Best Water Purifier For Home In India 2019 – Reviews
- 5 Best Water Purifier Under 10000
- Top 5 Best Water Purifier Under 20000
- Top 5 Best Water Purifier Under 15000
- 5 Best Water Purifier Brand In India – Honest Review
- Water Purifier Buying Guide – Best Water Purifier To Buy
- RO vs UV vs UF – Difference Between Water Purifiers | Explained!
- What Is Reverse Osmosis? – Pros and Cons of RO Water Purifier!